Europe Summer 2019 - 1/15 : Back to Europe for Summer!

"Traveling is the Best Healing moment"

Transit at Abu Dhabi Airport before taking my flight to Amsterdam

Last summer I went back to Europe, I had struggle a little bit about the destination, some part of me want to visit UK or Australia but I am also curious with some countries at West Europe, so at the end I decided to go back to Europe. I booked my ticket like 2 months before so that was around March when I just finished my travel to South Korea, it feels like I had an urge to travel somewhere during summer that year and of course not only for a week but longer. 

I booked the ticket via tiket.com and will go to Europe from May 25 - Jun 11, 2019 (18D/17N) with Etihad Airways again, so my flight would be Jakarta - Kuala Lumpur - Abu Dhabi - Amsterdam and Amsterdam - Abu Dhabi - Singapore - Jakarta. So many transit, I know haha, I paid the ticket around Rp 7.9 million (around 550 USD) including baggage 30kg. This time again  I went solo traveling.

Day 1 - Saturday, May 25, 2019

For this trip, I carried my cabin luggage and backpack. My cabin luggage was less than 10 kg, I will move around at Europe and I will be alone so I have to make sure my luggage will not going to burdened me along the way. So I went to Soekarno Hatta International Airport (CGK), checked in and stored my luggage, my flight at 1.40 PM, because I don't want to carry around my luggage on the airport then went to Kuala Lumpur arrived around 5 PM transit for few hours. Anyway I met my friends coincidentally at CGK, apparently they also will go to Europe with the same flight but different final destination. It was nice though to get company even just for a while. We had coffee at Kuala Lumpur while waiting for our flight to Abu Dhabi.
My Cabin Luggage and Backpack


at KLIA

Then off to Abu Dhabi around 7.45 PM, the weather during the flight was nice but this time it's quite full. I felt the service was not as excellent as my first flight with Etihad but it's still okay. Landing at Abu  Dhabi around 11 PM, wandered around the airport and find the best spot to sit and waiting for our next flight, so my friends only transit for few hours meanwhile my next flight would be on the next morning, so definitely I will sleep on the airport.

Abu Dhabi Airport

Day 2 - Sunday, May 26, 2019

Is it hard to find a place to sleep at Abu Dhabi Airport? nope, you will find a lot of bench which is nice to sleep on it, some people also laying down on the floor. There were also shower room so you can take shower for free and they also have hot water, very nice! When you feel tired after walking around airport it's really nice to take shower with hot water.

When I was at Abu Dhabi, suddenly I got an email from Easyjet, my flight to Vienna from Amsterdam telling me that there were National Dutch Strike and there would be no public transportation during my flight schedule. Initially I will stay at Amsterdam for 3 days then go to Vienna and go directly to Bratislava by bus. I booked the Hostel at Amsterdam for 3 days already and Bratislava for 1 night. It's unexpected situation so the flight offer me to change the schedule free of charge so on that night I decided to only stay at Amsterdam for 1 night only then fly to Vienna on the next day. Settled with my reschedule flight to Vienna then I slept for a while. 
find the suitable bench for you

I will fly to Amsterdam at 9.40 AM, the flight take 7 hours and will arrive at Schiphol Airport at 2.40 PM. The total for my flight from Jakarta to Amsterdam is 16 hours and 30 minutes. Arrived at Schiphol Airport, familiar airport since my first trip to Europe. Anyway I bought my sim card (Three) already at Jakarta for the internet, since I guess I will need it this time.

nice weather

at Schiphol Airport


Buying my train ticket to Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station
I stayed at Wow Hostel Amsterdam, near Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station, so from Airport I can just take the train (4.7 euro) and get off at Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station then walking to my hostel. Just bought the ticket on the vending machine, they accept credit card so it's really easy. I thought since it's summer, the weather would be a bit warm but it's wrong, it's really cold! I think I packed wrong clothes because I only bring the flowy or thin material, and I only bring 1 warm jacket, preparation to Switzerland, well yep I will also going back to that country on this trip.
Amsterdam Sloterdijk
so quiet

Arrived at my hostel and it looks so big, I booked my room, it's dormitory but I had my room for myself, I told the staff that I paid 2 nights already (32.3 Euro/2 nights) but I will only stay for 1 night because the strike etc. But unfortunately I can't get refund for my 1 night, sad but no choice. After such a long flight, I just feel want to lay down on my bed and not going anywhere at that time, too lazy to stand up and went around. I also didn't have good sleep. I went our only to go to supermarket, Vomar Voordeelmarkt, and find some food to eat then go back to hostel. I like going to supermarket because you can find various things.

There were not so many people, it's also raining in the evening so well I feel like I really can't go anywhere on that evening. Anyway I like the room, it's so spacious and clean, well, I got this room only for myself which was great. The things that I think need to be improved is the pantry, there were only a microwave and refrigerator. For the utensils you need to buy it but I recommend to have your own utensils, at that time I didn't bring it so I want to buy but the staff is really nice he gave me for free.
Wow Hostel Amsterdam
very spacious lounge

the corridor

my room, so big yet I am having this room all by myself

I slept there, the under and near the toilet

the backyard of the hostel

Supermarket in walking distance

I like to try everything

so many things

I love Stroopwafel! :)
not sure what is it but I will have it for my dinner

the portion is too big

Thanks for reading my travel diaries.

Stay safe and take care,
MJ

Comments